From Hobart: Hartz Mountain National Park Hiking Tour
Explore the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area with a guided hike to the peak of Hartz Mountains. See mountain ranges and glacial lakes and learn about unique alpine flora. Enjoy a picnic lunch along the way.
- Marvel at the south-west wilderness of Tasmania
- Hike to the 1254 meter mountain summit
- Listen to stories and get local knowledge from your qualified outdoor guide
- Enjoy a scenic drive to the National Park, via the famous Huon Valley
- Taste local produce with a freshly prepared picnic lunch
DescriptionEnjoy one of Tasmania’s best short walks on this hike. Leave Hobart from the Hobart Travel and Information Centre at 7:20 a.m. and drive for an hour and a half along the wide and meandering Huon River, through apple and cherry orchards to Hartz Mountain National Park, a section of Tasmania's Wilderness World Heritage Area. Enjoy morning tea, coffee and fruit at Waratah lookout, with views of the Wellington Range, while going over the map for the hike with your guide. Begin your walk with a stroll through gently undulating alpine plateau, before passing two alpine glacial lakes, the larger Lake Esperance and picturesque Ladies Tarn. On the way back, you may go for a swim (weather permitting). From the halfway point, Hartz Pass, you will enter the Dolerite Rock slopes. This section extends to the summit of Hartz peak and involves two steep sections with uneven terrain and some loose rocks to balance on. On the summit, be rewarded with 360 degree views, encompassing the Wellington Range, Federation Peak, Western and Eastern Arthur Range, Precipitous Bluff, Mount Field and many more, as well as the Huon river and the Southern Ocean to the south east. Then hike back along the returning track and stop for a picnic lunch by a lake or in a National Park shelter before returning to Hobart.
IncludesTransport from Hobart Morning tea/coffee/fruit Local qualified outdoor guide Picnic lunch National Parks pass Gratuities
- This tour involves hiking 8 kilometers / 5 miles, over 5 hours of walking and an ascent of 450 meters / 1400 feet.
- Please ensure you wear appropriate clothing and footwear as the tour may encounter alpine conditions.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability