From Hobart: Maria Island National Park Active Full-Day Tour6 Reviews
Step back in time, slow down and enjoy a day out to this island National Park. Enjoy highlights such as spectacular coastal cliffs, abundant wildlife, and deserted beaches.
- Learn more about Australia's convict history
- Wander amongst the unusual rock formations at the Painted Cliffs
- Spot playful dolphins and seals as you take a ferry across to the island
- Explore and discover the geological history of the exposed fossils
- Be amazed at the abundant wildlife enjoying life on their extraordinary island
DescriptionExperience a location rich in local wildlife, amazing scenery and world heritage convict history. Departing from Hobart, journey for 1.5 hours to reach the breathtaking Maria Island. Once here, enjoy a series of moderate walks covering a total of 10 kilometers. Explore the Painted Cliffs as you walk past Hopground Beach to see these beautifully patterned sandstone cliffs. Get the opportunity to swim, photograph and soak up the island life as Maria works its magic on you. Witness an abundance of island wildlife, including wombats, various bird species, dolphins, seals, and penguins. You may even get to spot the famous Tazmanian Devil. On the Fossil Cliffs walk, admire the amazing cliffs that drop sheer into the ocean. Get a fascinating insight into the past environments of Maria Island at the Darlington World Heritage convict site and enjoy breathtaking views of the Freycinet Peninsula. With no cars on the island the area is peaceful, beautiful, the pace is slow and relaxed, and the beaches are perfect for summer swimming.
IncludesPick up from select city center hotels and hostels Airport drop-off available on request with prior arrangement National Park entrance fee Return ferry crossing fee Professional guides and interpretive walks Small, friendly groups Food and drinks Pickup from AirBnB accommodation or private residences
- Please note, this tour is active and involves walking. Although most of the walks are classified as easy, a suitable level of general health and fitness and physical abilities is essential
- Minimum age to participate in the tour is 8 years. There is no maximum age provided all participants have a sense of adventure and a reasonable level of fitness and mobility
- Minimum numbers apply
- There are no shops on Maria Island and limited drinking water so please bring enough food and water for the day. There will be a brief stop on the way to the ferry for some last minute snack purchases, and usually a chance to buy food on the return trip to Hobart. As you will be carrying everything you need for the day, please ensure you have a comfortable backpack • Please check the weather forecast before the tour and come prepared. Pack sun and rain protection, wear layers of clothing suitable for warm and cold conditions, and wear comfortable walking shoes, boots, or runners
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability