Hobart: Tarn Shelf Mount Field National Park Day Hike1 Reviews
A day trip to Tasmania's oldest National Park! Hike to alpine tarns & glacial lakes. Explore Tall trees, lush rainforest with spectacular waterfalls. Take two great, short walks and enjoy lunch in the mountains.
- Enjoy a scenic drive along the Derwent River to the alpine region of Mount Field
- Explore Tasmanian alpine region with glacial tarns and lakes and spectacular views of the mountains of Southern Tasmania
- Experience the worlds tallest flowering plant (Eucalyptus regnan) which can grow 100 metres tall
- Discover spectacular waterfalls, including Horseshoe falls and the famous Russell Falls
DescriptionBegin with a scenic drive along the Derwent River, learning the history of this rich agricultural region. Then drive the rustic roadway to upper Mount Field arriving at the base of alpine ski fields. Hike to the Tarn Shelf, 2.5 hrs, via Lake Seal Lookout, Rodway Hut, returning via the Pencil Pines of the Pandani Grove Walk - 6KM. - this walk involves some short, but steep up hill sections with some loose rocks. Enjoy lunch in a mountain hut or if weather permits, outside overlooking the Tarn Shelf and Broad River Valley. In the afternoon you walk down from the shelf, via Mount Mawson ski fields, finishing with a short walk around Lake Dobson. Next, hop back in the van to travel for 15 minutes to the start of the Tall Trees and Russell Falls Walk. This 1 hour walk takes you under huge tree ferns and giant eucalyptus forests, some of the tallest trees on earth! Continue on to Horse-shoe falls Tasmania's most celebrated waterfall, Russell Falls.
IncludesHotel pick-up (if notified before hand) Transport to and from Hobart Alpine prepared lunch Two qualified local guides
- • Operates in most weather conditions (including wind and rain) so please dress appropriate to the weather • Cold alpine environment so have warm clothes handy no matter the time of year • Comfortable walking shoes are necessary (walk consists of 8km with many steps up and down) • This tour is not suitable for those under 13 years old
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability