Tasmania: Rack and Gorge Half-Day Tour2 Reviews
Board a historic steam train journey deep into the rainforest to the incredible King River Gorge and the isolated station in Dubbil Barril. Ascend using the power of the only operating Abt rack and pinion system in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Enjoy stunning views as you traverse the spectacular King River Gorge
- Climb the steep Rinadeena Saddle mountainside under the power of the only operating Abt rack and pinion railway in the Southern Hemisphere
- Pan for gold at Lynchford Station, named after a prospector who found a gold nugget the size of a cricket ball there in the 1880s
- Take a short walk in the rainforest at Dubbil Barril and see the train being turned on the turntable
DescriptionBoard a historic steam train at Queenstown Station for a journey deep into the West Coast's rainforests to the incredible King River Gorge and discover the amazing history behind the railway and Tasmania's wild West Coast. At Lynchford Station, the site of a former gold mine, you will learn how to pan for gold. Next, stop at Rinadeena Station to stretch and take photos of the train from the footbridge across the track before traversing the King River Gorge. A highlight of the tour is seeing the loco being turned on the manual turntable at Dubbil Barril in preparation for the journey back to Queenstown. Your guide will share stories of the visionary people, who made their fortunes in one of the most difficult and remote landscapes imaginable. Hear tales of scandals, extravagant railways, and two feuding Irishmen, whose rivalry and determination led to the creation of the richest copper mining company in the world. Passengers in the Wilderness Carriage, enjoy a welcoming glass of Tasmanian sparkling wine or juice upon boarding, canapés, complimentary hot beverages, morning tea and a light lunch, along with access to the open balcony to get up close to the rain forest.
IncludesFour-hour return tour by historic steam train in the Heritage Carriage Commentary from a live guide Gold panning at Lynchford Station Rainforest Walk at Dubbil Barril Glass of Tasmanian sparkling wine or juice onboard (Wilderness carriage only) Canapés, complimentary hot beverages, morning tea and a light lunch (Wilderness carriage only) Access to the open balcony (Wilderness carriage only) Hotel pick up and drop-off
- The following is required of all passengers: 1. Passengers are asked to abide by the requests of the person in charge 2. The master or steward may vary the itinerary and/or issue instructions to passengers in response to weather conditions and/or safety concerns, according to their discretion 3. The operator reserves the right to alter the timetable or advertised traction/transport vehicle, if circumstances require 4. The operator assumes no responsibility for the personal property of the passengers 5. Passengers are required to respect the comfort of the fellow passengers and staff 6. Adult passengers are solely responsible for all aspects of their children's behavior and to ensure their compliance with all reasonable instructions 7. Responsible service of alcohol is adhered to in accordance with the operator's liquor license 8. The operator has the right to inspect any baggage or parcels
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability